Founded in 2004, the Executive Board of Teamsters Local #118 has been granting the children of active and retired members, scholarship awards.
Whether it is through the James R. Hoffa Scholarship Foundation or through Local events such as our own, helping to prepare our children for the future is one of the greatest gifts our Union can provide. As the next generation of leaders, it will be our children that will continue to grow the Teamsters and further the causes of trade unionism.
Since its inception, the Teamsters Local #118 Scholarship Fund has awarded at least five $1,000 scholarships to worthy students every year. To be eligible:
1) The applicant must be a child of an active or retired member in good standings in Local 118.
2) He or she must either be a graduating senior in high school or currently enrolled in a accredited post-secondary institution.
3) While in school, they must carry at least a "B or 3.0" average in their senior year or if they are already in college, they must carry this average in their last semester. Students are only eligible to receive this award once, but you may apply every year that you attend a post-secondary school.
4) Applications may be submitted to Local 118 from January 1st through March 31st every year. Each application is assigned a number and applicants are notified in writing that their application has been received and processed.
5) Award winners are picked by random draw at the April Membership meeting and all winners are awarded a certificate of achievement at the May membership meeting, winners and their families are invited.
6) After receiving verification from the student's school of registration, award checks will be mailed out in August.
Read more about James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship Fund.